gold claims within one mile south of silverton colorado

Silverton, Colorado - Wikipedia

The town of Silverton is a Statutory Town that is the county seat of, and the only incorporated municipality in San Juan County, Colorado, United States. Silverton is a former silver mining camp, most or all of which is now included in a federally designated National Historic Landmark District, the Silverton Historic District.

Gold mine's toxic plume extends to Utah - USA TODAY

Aug 10, 2015· · On the scene at the abandoned gold mine in Silverton, Colo., at the source of the spill that has turned the Animas River orange. ... and estimated to be more than 80 miles long at one …

ABANDONED GOLD MINES COLORADO - Pinterest

"Remains of a silver mine just outside Silverton, Colorado. (my photo)" See more ... There are over 400 miles of caves that have been explored." "One of the oldest and most well known caves in the United States, located in central Kentucky. ... ABANDONED GOLD MINES COLORADO. What …

South Fork Mineral Creek | Outdoor Project

After almost 3 miles on the road you will pass an old mine claim, crossing the creek on a wide spot, and reach the road's end; there is a good area to camp, though there are no restrooms there. East of the campground there are spots to camp and fish, and there are …

San Juan County - Colorado Geological Survey

Vanderwilt (1947) describes the Animas District as the mineralized area south and east of Silverton in a belt several miles wide on the rim of the Silverton Caldera. It has also been referred to as the Silverton District. Gold was discovered in Arrastra Gulch in the early 1870s, but …

Recreational Gold Panning Near Red Mountain, Colorado ...

Mar 15, 2018· The Red Mountain Mining District in southwest Colorado between the towns of Ouray and Silverton once was home to numerous silver mines, with colorful names such as the Yankee and the National ...

gold mining in colorado - christoartfair.nl

Colorado Old Hundred Gold Mine Tour in Silverton, Colorado. Rated 1 tourist attraction. A one hour guided gold mine tour takes you 1/3 mile into the heart of 13,000 foot Galena Mountain where you can see real mining equipment in action.

'SILVERTON GOLD' | 20 acre Placer Claim in San Juan, CO ...

SILVERTON GOLD is a 20-acre closed mining claim in San Juan, Colorado. It is a placer claim with a $155 maintenance fee. Placer claims encompass any mining claim that is not a lode claim. These are commonly bedded or layered deposits. The maximum size of a placer claim is 20 acres per locator—with a maximum of 160 acres.

New Mexico Mineral Symposium: Abstract Preview

The Sunnyside mine is located 7 air miles northeast of Silverton, Colorado, at an elevation of 12,240 ft. ... Mine improvements and expansion and the construction of a new selective-flotation system made the Sunnyside mine one of Colorado's largest underground mines. In 1927, the Sunnyside mine was the first Colorado mine to produce 1,000 tons ...

Silverton, Colorado: basecamp for great hiking in the San ...

Introduction. Silverton (9,318-ft.) is a wonderfully preserved mining town set in a high mountain valley surrounded by 13,000-ft. peaks. Primarily constructed between 1882 and 1910, the entire town is a national historic landmark and considered one of the most intact sites of its kind in the country.

5 Other Mines at Risk of Spilling Toxic Waste - Latest Stories

A spill at a mine that turned a Colorado river orange and sent toxic waste barreling downstream 100 miles has many people wondering if the mining site in their town could be next.

Mountains, Mines, & Ghost Towns in Silverton, CO ...

Mountains, Mines, & Ghost Towns in Silverton, CO. ... From Durango to Silverton there is only one route – the famed highway 550 – better known as the Million Dollar Highway. ... mountains. The most promising area was Forest Road 585 a few miles west of town. About 4 miles down this road is the South Mineral Creek NF Campground, and closer ...

Colorado Gold Maps | Gold Claims

Of those active claims, 13,090 are lode claims and 1,425 are placer claims. Of those abandoned claims, 242,516 are lode and 21,432 are placer. Colorado's 14,515 active gold claims represent about 3.3% of all active gold claims in the lower 48 states.

Colorado Gold Panning Locations - goldfeverprospecting.com

Northeast of Silverton on U.S. 550, at Animas (district), a belt of rich mines several miles wide along the South rim of the Silverton caldera, with mines along both sides of the Animas River produced lode gold (estimated total production is between 874,000 to 1,000,000 ounces.

Silverton Land Patented Mining Claims For Sale by Owner

Black Dwarf, Hidden Treasure, Hugo V. Lange, and Margaret M.S. 17127 This group of four overlapping claims comprises approximately 28.15 acres. Located between Silverton and Howardsville (about one mile from Howardsville) overlooking the Animas River.

COLORADO - theGeoZone

One of the top 3 gold mines in the state of Colorado was found in an area that had been thoroughly prospected for 20 years! Some 25 years before the Escalante-Dominguez expedition of 1776, a group of Spaniards and Frenchmen discovered an extremely rich gold mine somewhere near …

2 Days in Durango, Silverton & Ouray | Colorado.com

Once in Silverton, enjoy the storybook mining village in all its well-preserved splendor. The entire town is designated a National Historic Landmark and is an archetypical example of a Colorado mining town that reinvented itself after the ore — and the miners — disappeared.

A Totally Serious History Of Silverton, Colorado – iRunFar.com

The 1970's and early 80's saw a resurgence of mining in the Silverton area, and during this time the mines in Cement Creek north of town were some of the highest-producing gold mines on the planet. The Lake Emma mine, in particular, has retained notoriety since then because of the massive flood it …

COLORADO gold maps, GPS COORDINATES OF GOLD SITES …

The mother lode of gold runs from Boulder, Colorado, south west to Leadville, Colorado. The largest cluster of claims and mines were located just to the west west of Denver, along Clear creek, near Idaho springs. (15 miles due west of Denver on I-70, and the elevation rises about 5000 feet.)

The Gold King Mine: From An 1887 Claim, Private Profits ...

Gold King, about 10 miles north of Silverton, is right next door to other shuttered mines, like the Red and Bonita, and importantly, Sunnyside. ... from one of the Gold King Mine's former owners ...

Colorado Goldfields acquires $234 Million gold-silver ...

The Champion Mine, which is located within 6 miles of the company's Pride of the West Mill, is located in the San Juan Mountains at Silverton, Colorado.

7 Places to Find Gold in Colorado | OutThere Colorado

Later miners found veins of gold ore and nuggets along with silver near iconic Colorado mining towns like Breckenridge, Fairplay, Leadville, Creede, Silverton, Telluride, and Cripple Creek in what was called the "world's richest gold district".

Mining History Articles

Silver Lake, which early settlers called Arrastra Lake, lies in a basin at the head of Arrastra Creek, four miles southeast of Silverton, Colorado, near the center of the Las Animas Mining District, in what was then part of La Plata County. Silver Lake Basin was one of the West's most isolated and difficult to access districts.

Animas Forks and the Abandoned Treasure Mountain Mine

Colorado became a state the next year, as even more men flooded into Silverton (established 1874) and up the Animas to find gold and silver. Southwest of Animas Forks was one hotspot of activity, a place called Treasure Mountain…

2015 Gold King Mine waste water spill - Wikipedia

Gold King Mine Silverton, Colorado, ... The 2015 Gold King Mine waste water spill was an environmental disaster that began at the Gold King Mine near Silverton, ... because of the adverse environmental impacts of regional mines such as Gold King, when contaminants entered the …

Laying Claim to Red Mountain–Land&People | The Trust for ...

Workers came to the mines, to the flanking towns of Ouray and Silverton, and to the Silverton Railroad that served this high outpost from homelands as far-flung as Slovenia, China, and Sweden. Hard-rock mining ceased here in 1978. Today, Red Mountain Pass and its surrounding lands are one of Colorado's great tourist attractions.

Silverton, Colorado - Wikipedia

The town of Silverton is a Statutory Town that is the county seat of, and the only incorporated municipality in San Juan County, Colorado, United States. Silverton is a former silver mining camp, most or all of which is now included in a federally designated National Historic Landmark District, the Silverton Historic District.The town population reached its peak of 531 in the U.S. Census 2000.

NARROW GAUGE to the MINES - RAILFAN PHOTOGRAPHY COLORADO

Within a year, 10,000+ gold seekers (called "Fifty-Niners" VS the 1849 "Forty-Niners" in California) had arrived to cash in on this "Pike's Peak Gold Rush." (Pike's Peak, of course, is west of Colorado Springs over 75 miles to the south of Denver, but easterners knew only about Pike's Peak in what was to become Colorado.